Director of Communications and OutreachOctober 30, 2013
The Alliance for Natural Health USA (ANH-USA)—a 501(c)4 political advocacy organization—is seeking a Director of Communications and Outreach to substantially develop its online, media, and public presence, as well as to assist the Executive Director and ANH-USA staff with lobbying, advocacy, policy, and research projects. The ideal candidate will have a broad skill set, a proven track record of success, and an open-minded, flexible, and collaborative attitude. We are seeking someone who is comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that encourages creativity and tangible results, and who can expand upon ANH-USA’s rapid growth.
The Director of Communications and Outreach is a full-time, salaried, and exempt position that will require travel and occasional evening or weekend work. The anticipated frequency of travel is an average of one 3 to 5 day trip every other month, with less travel during summer and winter holidays and more travel during the busy fall and spring conference seasons (20 to 25% travel). The Director of Communications and Outreach will report to the Executive and Legal Director.
ANH-USA works both on Capitol Hill and across the country to promote sustainable healthcare and freedom of choice in healthcare through good science and good law. We protect access to integrative medicine by lobbying Congress and state legislatures; acting as a government watchdog; filing comments on proposed Administrative rulemakings; educating the public, press, and decision-makers on integrative medicine; initiating legal activities (e.g., lawsuits, amicus briefs, petitions); and joining and forming diverse, issue-based coalitions. To learn more, please visit our website at www.anh-usa.org.
The Director of Communications and Outreach ’ job duties may include:
Outreach and Communications (70%)
The primary function of the Director of Communications and Outreach will be to grow ANH-USA’s membership/donor base by developing our online and traditional media presence. This position is perfect for an ambitious communications professional eager to take ownership of a fledgling digital/new media program.
- Develop and implement innovative strategies to organically increase organization membership
- Increase visibility of ANH-USA to the public via digital/new media outreach (coordinated, multi-message email campaigns; high-impact social media; and video)
- Create unique, compelling multimedia and online content that drives people to take action, subscribe to our organization’s newsletter, and donate to seasonal and ongoing campaigns
- Implement targeted campaigns to reach untapped constituencies
- Cultivate relationships with print journalists, prominent bloggers, and other members of the mass and natural health community media
- Media management: Serve as media’s point of contact, conduct ad-hoc interviews as needed, and prep Executive Director for radio, phone, and television interviews
- Analyze and report on metrics for all digital campaigns, as well as work with staff and directors to develop internal best practices
- Accurately and positively represent the organization to donors, decision makers, media, and members of the public
- Oversee and manage major website redesign project (e.g., converting the website to a mobile-friendly format; increased social media integration)
Advocacy, Policy, and Research (30%)
- Ad-hoc research to support the work of the Executive Director
- Develop and draft content for administrative comments, legislative testimony, fact sheets, educational reports, and online campaign materials
- Attend trade shows, conferences, and other events to network with decision-makers, influential persons, and donors
- Establish relationships and work with legislators and their staff to develop, amend, pass, withdraw, and defeat bills as appropriate, including crafting language for legislation, drafting comments on administrative regulations, and authoring policy briefs
- Represent and advocate for ANH-USA and its constituents with federal and state elected and agency officials
- Identify, track, and monitor the movement of key legislation and policy proposals that may impact the natural health and health freedom communities
- Assist the Executive Director in developing research-informed positions that ANH-USA may take on policy and legislation, making specific recommendations that seek legislative and/or administrative action at state, local, and/or federal levels
- Work with the Director of Public Affairs in the development and promulgation of a policy agenda
- Coordinate with leadership to achieve our long-term campaign objectives via the cultivation of political support, coalition building, grassroots outreach, encouraging positive media, endorsements, and message development.
- Support the Executive Director in the operation of a functional and productive office and work on various projects as needed
A successful applicant should have:
- Excellent communication skills with an emphasis on brevity, persuasiveness, and the ability to relate to a number of politically diverse constituencies and audiences
- Thorough knowledge of SEO optimization
- Passion, energy, and the ability to command the respect of decision-makers
- Personal interest in natural health is essential
- Willingness to travel by airplane for 3 to 5 days every other month (on average)
- The ability to work independently with initiative and efficiency
- A high-comfort level with a variety of social media platforms
Preference will be given to candidates who have these desirable, but not required, assets:
- 3 to 5 years of experience
- Expertise in HTML and web design
- Graphic design experience
- Proven success in increasing the visibility of a small organization
- Experience with Convio CMS
- Experience with a small organization undergoing rapid growth
To apply, please submit a brief cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Be sure to include “Director of Communications and Outreach” in your subject line. Cover letter must include salary requirements. Please do not call the office.