Food and dietary supplements are the cornerstone of natural medicine. Mountains of evidence attest both to their safety and their ability to improve health. Yet for decades, the FDA and the pharmaceutical industry have been waging war against food and supplements. Why? Because they threaten their bottom line.
Do you want government cronies and special interests to eliminate your access to supplements? Help us fight back!
Did you know:
- That supplements are on the verge of being regulated out of existence?
- It’s illegal for you to learn about the benefits of supplements and healthy foods from those with the most information?
- That drug companies can take vitamins and minerals found in nature, claim them as their own, and make millions off of them?
• We helped pass the Dietary Supplement Health And Education Act (DSHEA), the law under which supplements are regulated.
We helped establish the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, which, under the federal National Institutes of Health (NIH) undertakes research, does training, and disseminates data about supplements and integrative health to the public.
- Pearson v. Shalala, ANH-USA’s first lawsuit, established "qualified health claims". These are statements that, under certain circumstances, permit the communication of health benefits of food and supplements. It was a groundbreaking development, because in most cases, these types of claims can only be made by drug companies, about drugs. In this case we established the qualified health claim that folate is required during pregnancy to prevent neural tube defects.
• We Filed Nine Precedent-Setting Lawsuits Against FDA to set the legal foundation for additional qualified health claims.
Due to Big Pharma’s political influence in Washington, there have been many attempts in Congress to restrict consumer access to dietary supplements—like Sen. Dick Durbin’s amendment to the Prescription Drug User Fee Act, or Sens. Durbin and Henry Waxman’s amendment to the Dodd Frank Act. With the help of our members, we’ve been successful at beating back these bills and preserving Americans’ access to dietary supplements.
Of course not, but that’s what the media would have you believe in the latest hit job on dietary supplements.…